Sunday 6 June 2010

Markus (note: please click on photo to see full/uncropped image)


Markus 23/100, originally uploaded by Slightly Esoterik.

This is Markus Maverick. He is a dealer of vintage fashion, sometimes actor and an avid street photographer. We crossed paths at the art car boot fair being held at the old Truman Brewery on Brick Lane in East London. As I'm always intrigued by those with an original sense of style, I approached him and had a chat. He was quick to point out that this is how he dresses every day. He's a tremendous fan of the Victorian era and likes to work such elements into his dress. The impressive coat he was wearing was from the early 1900's and though I didn't ask, I had to assume his pipe was just as old. He'd recently completed work portraying Jack the Ripper for a History Channel documentary... this seems right down his alley given his love all things Victorian (on a side note, Brick Lane was Jack the Ripper's old stomping grounds with many of his murders occurring within blocks of the famous street).

I'm always put at ease when I end up talking to fellow photographer as they are sympathetic and understanding models. Sure enough, Markus was happy to participate in my 100 Strangers Project and gave me a few poses. He confided to me that he always feels a bit jaded if he asks to take someone's photo and is denied... this was in response to receiving my usual spiel that if he didn't want to pose it was no big deal. He was surprised by my laissez faire approach to the whole endeavor. Given how at ease he seems with people and his overall friendly demeanor, I don't imagine he's denied photo ops too often.

Enjoyed chatting with you Markus; look forward to seeing you around Brick Lane!

This picture is #23 in my 100 Strangers Project, to see more of my project, please click here: Slightly Esoterik's 100 Strangers

To find out more about the 100 Strangers project and see pictures taken by other photographers click here: www.100Strangers.com

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, can you please do me a favour and remove this picture of me. It's been there a while. I love what you've written but with the best will in the world it's not a very flattering picture. If you think i'm not the person in the pic send me your email and i'll send you my number and we can chat. Great blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete