Tuesday 1 June 2010

Alessandro 22/100


Alessandro 22/100, originally uploaded by Slightly Esoterik.

This is Alessandro. I bumped into him as were both peering into the front window of the lomography store just off of Carnaby Street in Central London. He admired my old Yashica twin lens reflex camera and we started chatting about medium format cameras (I seem to recall him saying he has a Mamiya, but also maybe a Diana). We had a total photo-geek conversation ranging from the merits of full frame digital, to HDR and even tilt-shift photography. The type of stuff that puts most people to sleep in the matter of minutes. He takes some amazing medium format film shots, check out his photostream if you get a chance: Alessandro's Photostream


He's orignally from Ancona, Italy on the Adriatic but has made London his home for a number of years now. He doesn't see himself leaving anytime soon, unless maybe it was to go to the United States at some point. After visiting for a bit I pitched the 100 Strangers Project to him and he happily agreed to participate. I have recently acquired a 14-24mm lens and have been looking forward to shooting a wide street portrait with it. I try to make an effort to vary my 100 Strangers Portraits with different lenses, poses, processing, etc... For this one I wanted to sort of frame him in the various lines projecting from the red brick building in the background. I cropped it a little from the top down and patched on the letterboxing to give it a cinema-like aspect ratio. I added the cinema toned processing because it just seemed to work.

Thanks again for participating Alessandro; was great meeting you!

This picture is #22 in my 100 Strangers Project, to see more of my project, please click here: Slightly Esoterik's 100 Strangers

To find out more about the 100 Strangers project and see pictures taken by other photographers click here: www.100Strangers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment